By Joshua Bloch, Neal Gafter
"Every programming language has its quirks. This energetic ebook finds oddities of the Java programming language via wonderful and thought-provoking programming puzzles." --Guy Steele, sunlight Fellow and coauthor of The Java Language Specification "I laughed, I cried, I threw up (my palms in admiration)." --Tim Peierls, president, previous Artisans LLC, and member of the JSR 166 professional crew How good do you actually be aware of Java? Are you a code sleuth? have you spent days chasing a trojan horse because of a capture or pitfall in Java or its libraries? Do you're keen on brainteasers? Then this can be the publication for you! within the culture of potent Java , Bloch and Gafter dive deep into the subtleties of the Java programming language and its center libraries. Illustrated with visually beautiful optical illusions, Java Puzzlers beneficial properties ninety five diabolical puzzles that train and entertain. someone with a operating wisdom of Java will comprehend the puzzles, yet even the main professional veteran will locate them demanding. lots of the puzzles take the shape of a brief application whose habit isn't what it kind of feels. are you able to determine what it does?Puzzles are grouped loosely in line with the positive factors they use, and special recommendations stick with every one puzzle. The strategies pass way past an easy rationalization of the program's behavior--they make it easier to stay away from the underlying traps and pitfalls for stable. A convenient catalog of traps and pitfalls in the back of the e-book presents a concise taxonomy for destiny reference. resolve those puzzles and you'll by no means back fall prey to the counterintuitive or vague behaviors which can idiot even the main skilled programmers.
Read Online or Download Java Puzzlers: Traps, Pitfalls, and Corner Cases PDF
Similar java books
Over 60 uncomplicated yet particularly potent recipes for learning multithreaded software improvement with Java 7
* grasp all that Java 7 has to provide for concurrent programming
* familiarize yourself with thread administration, the Fork/Join framework, concurrency sessions and lots more and plenty extra during this ebook and publication
* a pragmatic Cookbook jam-packed with recipes for reaching crucial Java Concurrency projects
Java is still the worldwide common for constructing a variety of purposes and firm software program, and the release of Java 7 brings with it fascinating new functions for concurrent programming when it comes to the concurrency utilities enhancement. this permits builders to utilize their functions with parallel job functionality. "Java 7 Concurrency Cookbook" covers all components of the Java concurrency API, supplying crucial recipes for profiting from the interesting new capabilities.
On your computing device, you could take heed to song once you edit a note rfile and browse your emails, unexpectedly! the reason is, your working approach permits the concurrency of initiatives, very like the Java platform which bargains a number of periods to execute concurrent initiatives inside of a Java application. "Java 7 Concurrency Cookbook" covers crucial gains of the Java concurrency API, with specific emphasis at the new features of model 7.
With each one model, Java raises the on hand performance to facilitate improvement of concurrent courses. This booklet covers crucial and priceless mechanisms integrated in model 7 of the Java concurrency API, so that you should be capable of use them at once on your applications.
"Java 7 Concurrency Cookbook" comprises recipes to assist you to in achieving every thing from the elemental administration of threads and projects, to the recent Fork /Join framework, via synchronization mechanisms among initiatives, varieties of concurrent initiatives that Java can execute, information buildings that has to be utilized in concurrent purposes and the sessions of the library that may be customized.
With the step by step examples during this e-book you’ll have the ability to observe an important and priceless beneficial properties of the Java 7 concurrency API.
What will you examine from this booklet
* grasp the fundamentals of thread administration and synchronization sooner than diving into greater point concurrency initiatives
* familiarize yourself with fascinating new concurrency positive aspects of Java 7, together with the Phaser type and the Fork/Join Framework
* effectively delegate thread administration to executors
* customise one of the most beneficial sessions of the Java concurrency API with real-world examples
* learn how to use high-level Java utilities to control synchronization among threads
* Get a sneak peek at utilizing Eclipse and NetBeans for debugging concurrency code
* stay away from issues of info inconsistency by way of studying the information constructions you'll want to use in concurrent purposes
* reap the benefits of an advantage appendix filled with suggestions that each programmer should still examine while constructing a concurrent software
"Java 7 Concurrency Cookbook" is a realistic Cookbook jam-packed with real-world recommendations. Intermediate–advanced point Java builders will examine from task-based recipes to exploit Java’s concurrent API to application thread secure solutions.
Making Java Groovy is a realistic instruction manual for builders who are looking to mix Groovy into their day by day paintings with Java. It begins via introducing the foremost alterations among Java and Groovy—and how one can use them in your virtue. Then, it publications you step by step via life like improvement demanding situations, from internet purposes to internet providers to laptop purposes, and indicates how Groovy makes them more uncomplicated to place into production.
About this Book
You don't want the complete strength of Java while you're writing a construct script, an easy method software, or a light-weight net app—but that's the place Groovy shines brightest. This dependent JVM-based dynamic language extends and simplifies Java so that you can pay attention to the duty handy rather than dealing with minute info and pointless complexity.
Making Java Groov is a pragmatic consultant for builders who are looking to make the most of Groovy of their paintings with Java. It begins by means of introducing the main variations among Java and Groovy and the way to exploit them on your virtue. Then, you'll concentrate on the events you face on a daily basis, like eating and growing RESTful internet companies, operating with databases, and utilizing the Spring framework. You'll additionally discover the good Groovy instruments for construct approaches, trying out, and deployment and write Groovy-based domain-specific languages that simplify Java development.
Written for builders accustomed to Java. No Groovy event required.
Purchase of the print publication incorporates a loose publication in PDF, Kindle, and ePub codecs from Manning Publications.
• more uncomplicated Java
• Closures, developers, and metaprogramming
• Gradle for builds, Spock for checking out
• Groovy frameworks like Grails and Griffon
About the Author
Ken Kousen is an self sufficient advisor and coach focusing on Spring, Hibernate, Groovy, and Grails.
Table of Contents
<ol><h5>PART 1: up to the mark WITH GROOVY</h5> • Why upload Groovy to Java?
• Groovy through instance
• Code-level integration
• utilizing Groovy gains in Java
<h5>PART 2: GROOVY TOOLS</h5> • construct strategies
• checking out Groovy and Java tasks
<h5>PART three: GROOVY within the genuine WORLD</h5> • The Spring framework
• Database entry
• RESTful internet providers
• development and checking out net applications
A finished Java advisor, with samples, workouts, case reports, and step by step instructionBeginning Java Programming: the article orientated method is an easy source for buying all started with one of many world's such a lot enduringly renowned programming languages. in response to periods taught via the authors, the publication starts off with the fundamentals and steadily builds into extra complex recommendations.
Because of the tireless efforts of open-source builders, Cocoon has speedy won visibility because the preeminent XML-based net publishing framework. regrettably, its documentation is still an important shortcoming. in case you are new to Cocoon, gaining a feeling of precisely what you are able to do with it may be tough, and really getting all started will be even tougher.
- Groovy Recipes: Greasing the Wheels of Java
- Islamic States in Java 1500–1700: Eight Dutch Books and Articles by Dr H.J. de Graaf
- Making use of JSP
- Jakarta Struts Pocket Reference
Additional info for Java Puzzlers: Traps, Pitfalls, and Corner Cases
Because of this, I will alternate between using one or other of the two terms throughout the book. This book concentrates on testing aspects, even though you will get a decent dose of the TDD approach here. The best book on TDD that I know of is [freeman2009]. However, I would suggest that you gain some experience in testing techniques before you start reading it. And, by the way, even though it is really great, it won’t "teach" you TDD. Practice, practice, practice! In this section we are going to take a closer look at what it means to write tests before implementation.
Make the code work (GREEN). 3. Eliminate redundancy (REFACTOR). It also gives you a simple rule to follow: never write code without a failing test! 1. 2 - gives some more insight into the TDD rhythm. It shows how you start with a list of tests, choose one of them, and then follow the red-green-refactor cycle, making sure you end up with green. 2 If I had to choose one thing that I would like you to remember from this book, it would be this picture! 41 Chapter 4. e. some particular functionality is implemented), when there are no more tests to be written.
1. Create a new empty project using the build tool of your choice (Ant, Maven, Gradle, …). Add dependency to JUnit. Create a simple test class with a single test method containing some assertions. 2. Compile and run the test using: • your build tool, • your IDE. 3. Browse the test results. 2. String Reverse A developer attempted to write a utility displayed below: String reversing method. 16. toString(); } Now go ahead and write unit tests (using JUnit framework) which will verify that the method works properly!